Friday, October 28, 2005

A Tale of Two Stuffings

Now back to my reveling of Thanksgiving. This entry was kick started by Eat With Me's Southern Fried Thanskgiving menu. Dude, is your mother Paula Deen? That menu made me hungry and full at the same time.

Last year I engaged in a bloodless coup to take over turkey duty from ym mother. She makes a perfectly fine turkey but I was wondering if my chicken method would work on a turkey. It did, to much acclaim. However, my mother made her "traditional stuffing" for one of the turkeys while I made my cornbread stuffing for the other. My mother's was for the "adults" and mine was for the "kids."

For both you just throw everything into a big bowl and mix, preferably with your hands and then sutff in a turkey. You can put them in a pan to bake alongside the turkey for 45 minutes but for the love of god WHY? I'll let you decide which you like better.

My Mom's Stuffing:

1 package Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix
1 pound of ground pork
1 cup of sliced shitake mushrooms
1 can of garbanzo beans
1 onion chopped
1 cup of finely chopped wood ear mushrooms
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon Maggi seasoning
1 egg
Salt and pepper
Enough canned chicken broth to make the mixture wet (see directions on the stuffing)


My stuffing

1 9 x 9 inch pan of cornbread left to sit out overnight
2 cups of old baguette, cubed
1 cup of frozen whole corn
1 red bell pepper roughly chopped
2 poblano peppers seeded, deveined and roughly chopped
3 green onions chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon of Tony Chachere's
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 egg
1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth

This is great to stuff acorn squash as a vegetarian option.

5 comments:

ScottE. said...

Don't I wish she was my mother! And her sons...whew!!! Make a sandwich out of that.

My mother does not cook....but Paula reminds me alot of my grandmother!!! And that I love.

ScottE. said...

Also, what is Maggi and Tony Chachere's seasonings? I'm unfamiliar.

DC Food Blog said...

Maggi is this soy sauce like seasoning that's comes from the Netherlands that a lot of Asians use. It's got a mellower flavor than soy. Tony Chachere's is this crazy Louisiana spice mix. Did your grandmother teach you how to cook because that's a pretty ambitious Thanksgiving?

ScottE. said...

She did teach me...she had twelve kids, so there were a lot of mouths to feed. I've always been one to over feed my guests. I've been cooking Thanksgiving dinners for 14 years in some capacity. My first one, the whole damn thing, was when I was only 16!

DC Food Blog said...

I would love to read a recap of the first Thanksgiving you did. 16!!! That's incredible.