Saturday, October 29, 2005

FINALLY! - The long awaited Mac 'n Cheese Recipe

To whoever requested the Mac 'n Cheese recipe, sorry. I just got around to it. I've spent the last week trying to figure out if Eat with Me and Dancerindc are actually parallel dimension versions of J and I.

This Mac 'n Cheese originated from the Fried Green Tomatoes cookbook and is the kind that is baked in a casserole with a crust. Think church lady food. J wanted to up the cheese flavor so he added the paremsan and goat cheese. What's amazing is that you don't taste them, they just make it taste cheesier.

Mac 'n Cheese

2 cups milk
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 eggs beaten
5 cups cooked elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 oz crumbled goat cheese
1/4 cup of grated parmesan
3/4 freshbreadcrumbs or cracker crumbs(Ritz is the best)

Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl, whisking until smooth. Combine all of the cheeses in another bowl. Layer half of the cooked macaroni in bottom of a greased 9-inch sqaure baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheese and layer the remaining macaroni on top. Pour the milk mixture over the macaroni. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top. Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese and continue baking 5 minutes longer until set.

P.S. Rebecca, I asked the Chowhound boards for a pumpkin butter recipe. NOONE RESPONDED. I am such a loser.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading each update to your blog, and can report that tt was me that asked for the recipe, and cannot wait to give it a try. Thank you!

Dancer in DC said...

SHUT...UP. I totally have the Fried Green Tomatoes cookbook. That movie is one of my all-time favorites, and I love the original book, too.

You are me! I am you!

In all seriousness, I'd like to try this. We've done several mac n' cheese recipes in our home in pursuit of perfection. ScottE's current favorite is Patti Labelle's - I think it's posted on his blog.

ScottE. said...

Patti LaBelle's recipe is posted on my blog...OVER THE RAINBOW Mac & Cheese...but I love the idea of adding Ritz Crackers as the crust on top....Yum-O!

Anonymous said...

thanks for looking for pumpkin butter info for me! i found a jar of it once at an apple orchard near frederick MD (i think) when i first moved to DC but haven't seen any since. see you in a week!!