Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Guest Post from Betty Joan

--a special guest post from Betty Joan -- THANKS!

Normally, I don't love to bake. It's not that I don't
enjoy sweets--all evidence to the contrary--but, for
whatever reason, I've always been more excited and
creative when working with savory ingredients and
flavors. However, whenever I want to impress someone,
I bake one of my homemade key lime pies.

I got the recipe from my friend Brittany, who is,
quite possibly, the only person who is a bigger Food
Network junkie than me. We were preparing a cozy
dinner for our respective boyfriends, and I was
mesmerized by Brittany's baking prowess.

What I came to quickly learn is that key lime pie is
one of the easiest desserts in the world to make.
I'll share the recipe with all of you in
internet-land--but only if you swear to tell your
uber-impressed guests that you slaved all day to make
them such a delicious delicacy. :-)

Enjoy!

1 large graham cracker crust (the ones that say "extra
servings" or something similar)
6 egg yolks
2 cups sweetened condensed milk
1 cup key lime juice (if I have time, I really do
squeeze the actual key limes, but if you're rushed,
there's a brand of bottled key lime juice that you can
buy--I think it's called Nellie's or something)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix egg yolks, sweetened
condensed milk, and lime juice until it reaches a
smooth, custard-like consistency. Pour into crust.
Bake for 15-20 minutes (until filling is mostly
solid--don't worry if it jiggles a little, but put it
back under the heat if it's too liquidy). Cool on
rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate, and bon apetit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great recipe. I cannot wait to try it out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I promise, it's yummy--and SO simple!