Thursday, August 24, 2006

Grab Bag - A little bit o' food and a lot o' randomness

1. What did J and I have for dinner last night? Figs with shaved pecorino cheese and slices of Wisconsin cheddar (imported directly from Wisconsin by my friend Writergirl). Where did we get the figs? Form our next door neighbor who has a fig tree with well over 200 figs ripening as we speak. While the ideal accoutrement for the lusciousness of the figs is prosciutto and goat cheese, he had to make do with what was in our fridge. To round out the meal we had char siu bao from Safeway. Surprisingly edible.

2.
We watched The Hill on Sundance last night. It's a documentary series on stafers working for Congressman Wexler. When I first moved to DC I REALLY wanted to get Hill job because it seemed like an extension of college with all of the late night deadlines and interstaff dating and workplace drama. Tweleve (!) years later, I would totally never work on the Hill because it seems like an extension of college with all of the late night deadlines and interstaff dating and workplace drama. The Hill did nothing to dissuade me of this as everyone seemed so intense and Type A and constantly trying to prove how smart they were. I find it interesting how tribal DC is - I work in advocacy and policy and the Hill is still is a world unto itself.

3. Normally I would just reserve this for a comment on Jason's blog but Tim Gunn really hates the judging this season. If you read his blog, he consistently disagrees with the decisions. He's become the voice of the viewer this season. Please give him his own reality show.

4. Does anyone else think that the racial segregated Survivor is the stupidest idea ever? I am so banning that show. And their excuse for doing it was they wanted more folks of color. Dude, just get more folks of color to the tribes instead of segregating them. The Washington Post also points out in their article about this debacle that the producers of Survivor assume that a Mexican, Salvadoran and Puerto Rican are all the same "Hispanic" category as Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese and Filipino are all "Asian."

5. So a bunch of us are going to the beach in a few weeks and I came up with doing an antipasto potluck. I find antipasto and tapas great putluck things because those things are totally expensive when you get them in a restaurant. If you wanted to buy a whole antipasto platter at the store that would clean your wallet, but if each person brings an item, you get a great spread without a huge hit to the budget. What would you all bring to an antipasto potluck?

6 comments:

ScottE. said...

survivor has gone to gimmicky and lost me about 6 seasons ago...

prosciutto wrapped asparagus
tomato/basil/mozz
roasted veg
charcuterie

Tim Gunn rocks and he has been very vocal on the blog and his podcast about his difference of opinion. I do love that he is completely seperate from the producers on the show and doesn't play a part in the judging.

Anonymous said...

A fig tree in your neighbor's backyard? Lucky, lucky you. Only thing that might top that is a lemon tree in your neighbor's backyard.

Rhea said...

I saw the first show of the first season of "Lost," and I thought, "Eh." Haven't seen it since. And the fact that they're segregating tribes by race as cemented my disinterest in the show.

My childhood house in Southern California has a fig tree. Very sweet. What I wouldn't give for a fig tree in my small Alexandria backyard now ...

playfulinnc said...

Which beach? I would love to crash, and not as my blog states, have fantastic taste in foodie items...

Brunette said...

Which Safeway carries passable char siu bao? If it's less than a 50 mile drive, I'm there! I've never been impressed with the options in this area, so I've taken to stocking up everytime I visit NYC's Chinatown. Any other recommended sources (aside from Safeway?)

Dancer in DC said...

You know I totally agree with you, of course - word and word.