Monday, August 28, 2006

Failure

I think in the spirit of full disclosure I want to report on the total failure that was my attempt at fig jam. It was pretty fricking vile. I’m not sure if the recipe sucked or the figs sucked but the jam was so not right. I used the fig jam recipe from epicurious. It seemed to get high reviews and the sugar content was low for jam (1 ¼ cups). The only thing I did differently was to cut the amount of sugar (by ¼ of a cup) and use calimyra figs instead of mission. I had such high hopes for this too. Imagine making your own fig jam? Throw in some Pipe Dreams goat cheese and that’s heaven on toast. But it wasn’t meant to be.

What was wrong with the jam? It tasted like metallic sugar syrup. It was heavy, heavy heavy and just tasted leaden. The freshness from the lemon was gone and any inkling of fig was just beaten out of it. I was only halfway done with the cooking but if gentle simmering is supposed to intensifying the flavors of a dish, I did not want intense tasting ass. I hated to do that to 2 pounds of fresh figs but down the garbage disposal they went.

On the plus side, J made some great cookies (chocolate chip with cranberries) and he discsovered my seekrit love of pickle loaf.

1 comment:

ScottE. said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. I've only recently had figs and kind of enjoyed them...the wine soaked figs at SONOMA!