Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A bit o'healthy eating

Getting a bin of vegetables each week has really made me up my game in the healthy eating department. I eat a mixing bowl-sized salad at least four times a week. On top of that I've been really conscious about getting nibbly little vegetables at the farm like baby carrots (REAL baby carrots as opposed to the stuff that was whittled away from big carrots that is sold at th supermarket) and sugar snap peas and radishes. with the right dip, I can plow through my entire share of little nibblies in one sitting.

My ideal dip is an herb yogurt one that is made of Greek yogurt but Greek yogurt is hard to find so I buy regular nonfat yogurt and let it sit overnight on top of a colander lined with a paper towel. I should count this as #11 on the things I learned from the Frugal Gourmet because he did this on his show. Barefoot Contessa also uses this technique for her orange yogurt. Straining it overnight gives the yogurt the consistency of marscapone cheese and makes it a perfect dip. Simply add any fresh herbs you want - basil, mint, dill, oregano, and parsley - along with lemon juice, a touch of salt and pepper, and a teeny weeny bit of olive oil. it holds up well and tastes great.

1 comment:

Sarah at Advancing the Plot said...

Great dip idea for all the sugar snap and snow peas I am now getting from my farm share.