Friday, March 30, 2007

Gladys Knight and Ron Winans' Chicken and Waffles

This has been going out week for J and I. We went to Bourbon's in Glover Park on Tuesday to hang out with Pauline and to the DC Jewish Community Center's cafe Wednesday to have a pre-theater meal. Last night was the crowning glory of our going-out week because we ended up at Gladys Knight and Ron Winan's Chicken and Waffles restaurant in the Largo Town Center. It's a fascinating cultural experience for J and I because that part of Prince George's county is predominantly upper middle class and predominantly black.

We were kind of driving all over Prince George's County trying to find a place to eat after we drove all the way out to the Bowie Town Center only to discover we weren't in the mood for any of the the Bowie restaurants. After meadering along Route 214 to Route 202, we ended up at Largo Town Center where we initially tried to go to Carolina Kitchen. While Carolina Kitchen was open, noone seemed to be getting seated. We decided to wander all over Largo Town Center ot find a place to eat and saw the sign for the Chicken and Waffles place. I was sold completely, having been to the flagship Chicken and Waffles place in Atlanta.

We were immediately seated since many of the customers wanted to sit at the bar where they could watch college basketball. The menu is incredible with the requisite chicken and waffles along with hard core Southern specialties that include smothered chicken, salmon croquettes, and mac 'n cheese. Seeing the huge platters of food pass us, we decided to split the dark meat combo platter, a signature waffle (strawberry!) and an appetizer of fried green tomatoes.

Needless to say the meal was excellent. The fried green tomatoes had the crunch of being rolled in cornmeal as opposed to dredged in batter and it came with a nicely spiced remoulade. The fried chicken was lightly breaded so that the flavor of the chicken really came through. The tenderness of the drumstick and thigh meat was wonderful and weren't greasy in the least. Our wonderful waitress, Jennifer, recommended the fried corn and she was totally right on. I was expected something deep fried but the corn that came out was clearly fresh and cut from the cob (not frozen) and cooked in a broth with a hint of brown sugar. This standout side also had a hint of spice with chopped jalepeno. The true standout was the strawberry waffle which was light, crispy and a perfect sponge for the maple syrup. Even thought we were full, we both got dessert - J got the peach cobbler and I got the sweet potato cheesecake. Both for too sweet for my taste but both were beautifully presented. We left the restaurant resolving to come back. I would try the smothered chicken and J would try the salmon cakes.

5 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

Wow - I'm sold! Can you send the address or name of the restaurant onto me? Thanks!

Stef said...

This does sound good! You guy have been having a lot of new restaurant fun... I need to do that, I'm in a bit of a rut always going to the same places.

Have you tried Acadiana yet? It is my new love!

DC Food Blog said...

The restaurant name is literally Gladys Knight and Ron Winan's Chicken and Waffles. The address is:

860-ECapital Centre Boulevard
Largo, Maryland 20774
Phone: 301-808-6402
Fax: 301-808-6405

It's near FedEx field. We went to Acadiana for last summer's restaurant week. They did some things really well and others competently. I found Indigo Landing a better experience for Southern food.

winters24 said...

I was just in atlanta for new years and my buddie i was visiting took me here. I have never had such great chicken; let alone chicken and waffles! I was so impressed how great the food and service was! I am now fiening for the recipie for chicken and waffles! It's some good as finger lickin chicken!

Shirley Marsh said...

Interesting thoughts, I really enjoyed your blog.