Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

I realize that i really don't have a Thanksgiving routine. Sometimes I fly out to California to spend time with family. Sometimes I stay in DC and J and I host. This year, J was visiting a friend in Asheville and I was lucky enough to be invited to Scotte's. What did we eat? Take a look here.

I had a great time. It was kind of a blogger Thanksgiving with three other bloggers at Scott and Jason's. Like Scott and Jason, their friends are really delightful. Scott put together little cards for everyone asking them an interesting question to provoke conversation. I, however, am the conversation killer where I got the "what's one restaurant you want to go to before you die?" And I responded, "French Laundry. Period." In between courses we watched Ratatouille and Sordid Lives, a totally hilarious indie movie about over the top personalities in a small Texas town.

The tasting menu consisted of a warm lentil salad (which I came too late for), a sage and onion tart, and a butternut squash and apple soup. I absolutely adored the sage and onion tart. Usually I avoid sage as I think it just has a musty flavor but here it complimented the onion and balsamic vinegar. The actual meal was traditional and best in class, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and the light for me, collard greens. They were made with smoked turkey wings and tasted absolutely wonderful. There was a good balance of the smoke and salt in the collards.

I am immensely impressed by how completely organized Scott and Jason are in their cooking. The kitchen was spotless and the food came out piping hot. They managed to have enough refrigerator space to brine their turkey and seemed to clean up and get plates out without a dishwasher! They were a well-oiled machine! Contrary to what Scott thinks, he did carve the turkey expertly.

Thanks to the two of you for a delightful Thanksgiving. I am thankful for bloggers!

Finally, the week before Thanksgiving marks the 8th year that J and I have been together. EIGHT YEARS! Wooo!!!!! Thanks J. It's been the best eight years of my life.

4 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

You're very welcome, it was a pleasure to have you! I can pass on the recipe for the collards, such as it is. :)

And congratulations on 8 years - we'll be celebrating our own 8 year anniversary next week!

Stef said...

I am thankful for a blogger Thanksgiving, too! It was fun to hang out, and your pear tart was a very special part of the whole tasting experience. And thanks for the ride home in the sudden burst of winter at the end of the night!

ScottE. said...

You are so very welcome! It was a pleasure having you. It helps to be organized and set with a strong, tried and true timeline for prep!

KC said...

Wow, that's something! My kitchen seemed to take days to fully recover from Thanksgiving and that's with a heavily used dishwasher!