Saturday, January 08, 2005

Lite N Fair, Um, Yum.

O. came over and had a taste for Lite N Fair in Old Town Alexandria. We hadn't been in a while, but wow. If you have not found this place, I suggest a trip. From the outside, it's not much to look at. The inside, even less. But the food is wonderful.

I had the cajun catfish in a rich spicy buttery sauce (not sure what it is called). It came with some sesame vegetables, perfectly steamed and seasoned and a fistfull of crispy spiced potatoes. The catfish was excellent and I beleive cost $8.95. Ridiculous. I've had worse and paid much more.

T. and O. had the surf and turf with tempura shrimp and a piece of tender, flavorful steak in a piquant sauce that I, again do not know the name of. Their dishes also came with the potatoes and vegetables. Cost for surf and turf: $10.50.

Dessert: A poached pear filled with chocolate mousse, and apple strudel, and a slice of baked Alaska -- each under $4.50.

I highly recommend this place. The chef used to be the chef at the Watergate and every time we go we really enjoy our meals. And the prices? You almost want to start all over once you finish.

So how do they do it so inexpensively? When I asked by a friend last night, I described as a cut-rate Waffle House look. You cant really see in that well from the outside, it maybe seats 20?, the dishes and glassware are nothing to write home about, you order at a counter like an understaffed Denny's. All this and the food is just so damn good.

I could go back right now.

http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/Profiles/LiteFair.html

http://www.digitalcity.com/baltimore/shopping/main.adp?_diraction=detail&_dircid=102511140

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan, too. For the unconvinced, check out their menu at their website Lite-N-Fair.com

DC Food Blog said...

Unfortunately, Lite - N - Fair has closed. So unfair! - J